When I was growing up I was always so annoyed when I'd get home from school and my parents would ask me what I did at school. I still remember thinking, "I went to school, went to class, what else is there to say". Now that I am the parent I totally get it - you are away from your kid all day and you genuinely want to know what happened when you were away. I would pay money to be a fly on the wall and be able to watch Addison at school all day!
So our after school routine is to come home and Addison watches a couple of TV shows while we get dinner ready, but I've started making her tell me about her day before we'll start a show. My general question of "what did you do at school today" got me nowhere so I've started the "tell me 2 things" bit. So today the conversation went something like this
Addy: I want to watch a TV show.
Me: OK, but first you have to tell me 2 things you did at school today.
Addy: I played with Ethan Robins.
Me: What did you play?
Addy: Ethan caught me.
Me: Were you playing chase and he caught you? Were you playing on the playground? Did you play with Ethan Taylor too?
Addy: I played with Ethan Taylor
Me: What did you play?
Addy: Mom, you are asking too many questions.
Me: Ignoring the last comment. Did you play with any girls?
Addy: I played with Moriah. Moriah held my hand. Too many questions.
I had about 10 other questions I was going to try and slip in, but she is getting too smart and is calling me out now.
Sorry Mom and Dad. If it makes you feel better I am definitely being repaid for my stubbornness as a kid. And she is only 3. I know it is going to get worse.
No comments:
Post a Comment